Service of Light
We are called to live our lives in the light of Christ, the light by which the world may come to see true Christian love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self‐control as the fruits of a Sprit‐filled life.
- During this service, parents light the candle that was lit on the day of their child’s baptism.
- The parents then hand that candle to their son or daughter.
- This handing over symbolises the handing on the responsibility for their faith to the child.
- For parents and godparents it is not the end of responsibility. Parents still have a great deal to do with the spiritual upbringing of their children, a responsibility which often remains throughout life.
- Parents will always pray for their children, and in a spirit of love and caring offer advice and encouragement from time to time.